After getting snubbed in the annual ‘Best beaches in the world’ rankings last year, Australia has made a strong come back to be crowned the best in the world for 2021.
The world’s top 25 beaches have been named in Tripadvisor’s annual Traveller’s Choice awards, which are based on reviews and opinions from the travelling public in 2020.
The winner is no secret to receiving praise, given it’s proximity to Queensland’s Great Barrier Reef, its white sand and crystal clear waters.
The silver medal went to Santa Maria Beach on the island of Cayo Santa Maria in Cuba, and bronze to Baia do Sancho in Brazil.
According to the survey, Australia’s Whitehaven Beach received a perfect average of five stars from over 2300 reviews.
Sitting in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, Whitehaven beach is only accessible by boat, seaplane or helicopter and is famed for its soft white sand and turquoise blue water.
This week, Cairns – also in Queensland was named by booking platform Wotif as Australia’s best town of 2021.
The awards, in their fourth year, decide on the top 10 ranking Australian destinations based on good affordability, well-rated accommodation and increasing traveller interest over the last 12 months.
With Coffs Harbour taking out the crown in 2020, this year the top gong went to Cairns because of its location on the doorstep of not one but two world heritage sites.
Cairns has grown in popularity given its proximity to the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest – the oldest rainforest in the world.
TRIPADVISOR’S BEST 2021 BEACHES IN THE WORLD
1. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Australia
2. Santa Maria Beach, Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba
3. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
4. Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
5. Saint Pete Beach, Florida
6. Turquoise Bay, Exmouth, Western Australia
7. Eagle Beach, Aruba
8. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Italy
9. Ka’anapali Beach, Maui, Hawaii
10. Baía dos Golfinhos, Brazil
11. Playa de Cofete, Fuerteventura
12. Varadero Beach, Cuba
13. Praia da Falésia, Albufeira, Portugal
14. Maho Bay Beach, St John, US Virgin Islands
15. Seven Mile Beach, Jamaica
16. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian, Spain
17. Playa Norte, Mexico
18. Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
19. Bavaro Beach, Dominican Republic
20. Bournemouth Beach, Dorset
21. Balos Lagoon, Crete
22. Playa Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
23. Nungwi Beach, Zanzibar Island
24. Elafonissi Beach, Crete
25. Plage de Santa Giulia, Corsica