The NSW government has ruled out moving coronavirus quarantine hotels to regional areas, the state’s health minister says.
The comments from Brad Hazzard came after the Queensland Premier revealed her government was considering turning rural mining camps into quarantine facilities.
Annastacia Palaszczuk said such a plan would be a “rational option” given a new, more contagious strain of coronavirus had entered Australia and spread in the Brisbane community.
But NSW authorities would not follow suit, Mr Hazzard said.
“This has been looked at very closely by the NSW public health team over the full duration of this particular pandemic,” he said.
“There’s strong views held in our public health team it makes sense to continue to have the hotel quarantine arrangements we currently have.”
He said the main concerns were around transporting arriving overseas travellers to the regions, which might pose a risk of spreading the virus in transit.
Authorities also want to be able to quickly transfer a patient whose condition deteriorates to a major hospital, something that would be harder to do if the quarantine facilities weren’t located in Sydney.
“We simply do not believe, the public health advice here in NSW, we don’t believe there would be an advantage, in fact, (it would mean) distinct disadvantages to consider moving our public health hotels out of the Sydney regional area,” Mr Hazzard said.
Earlier on Thursday, NSW Health issued a warning that anybody who had visited the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Brisbane since December 30 needed to immediately get tested and self-isolate for 14 days after they were last at the hotel regardless of their test result.
Contact tracers have spoken to all 10 NSW residents who were reported to have visited the hotel, Mr Hazzard said.
The new virus strain spread at the hotel after a man quarantining there was confirmed infected after returning from the UK.
Fears of wider community spread led the Queensland government to lock down Brisbane for three days last weekend.